What people say or think about me is none of my business

 

What a very interesting comment?  But it is worth reflecting on.

When I first read it I was taken aback and then I wondered what if it is true? What if I did not concern myself with what people think about me? We all like to be liked. We like to create a good impression. And, of course In daily life it is important that we portray a good image of ourselves and not be disagreeable. 

You will have your own reaction to the above quote but I think it is also empowering.  When I thought about it I realized I should leave the other person their freedom to form their own opinions.  I need to be free to live from my own inner truth and convictions.

We are on a journey and with the help of God we all try to work on improving ourselves. And we ask God where we need to improve.

While reflecting on the above I was reminded of St Thérèse.

St Thérèse in her book, the  Story of a Soul talks about an occasion when a sister came into a room where the community were gathered and asked for help. Thérèse aware that another sister might like to do the good deed was slow to respond. One sister commented that Sr. Thérèse was too lazy to offer. But Thérèse had a different motivation and intention. This may seem a very small act but Thérèse was mature enough to know her own intention and motivation. She showed great inner strength. 

I think Thérèse lived the above quote with freedom and love.

What people think or say about me is none of my business.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary the Sunflower...

Humans and Dogs!

Friendship with God