The Wonder of a Call

 

Yes the call of God is a wonderous thing. There is no explanation for it other than the love which God bears for the person He calls. This marvellous love is absolutely free, personal and unique. These days in the gospel we hear Jesus saying to his disciples “ follow me  and I will make you fishers of men.”

 St. John of the Cross loved to say, “ if a person is seeking God, the Beloved is seeking that person much more”. Yes it is God who calls, sends, and  who enables the person to bear fruit for the Kingdom.

 You  did not choose me, no I chose you and commissioned you to go out and bear fruit, fruit that will last.

 These early days  of the span New Year 2024 we are rejoicing that Shauna has entered our Kilmacud Carmel  in response to the call of God. In the words of St. Teresa, she is venturing her life in order to love Jesus and to make Him loved: to be “love in the heart of the Church”.

  St. Teresa liked to tell each new person entering that she is a foundation stone for those will come after her and that the Order of the Virgin, Our Lady of Mount Carmel begins again with her. That inspires and puts courage into the person entering.

 I remember a little girl of five asking me if I  started as a little small nun  first and then grew into a big one! Her second question  followed “was your mother an old nun down in the Convent?” I can still see her little intent face trying to figure it out. She listened with great attention as I explained that I was just like her, a little girl at home with a mammy and daddy and sisters and a brother and   went to school like her. That I learnt about God how He loved all his children  and wanted them to be happy and good. The wish grew in me to know  and love God more. It was when I was 19 that I said yes to the call of God.

 We thank all who have prayed for the gift of new vocations to our Carmel. Please continue to  pray for Shauna and for us too that we will be the good soil   in which her vocation can grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary the Sunflower...

Humans and Dogs!

An Unexpected Visitor - Mr Heron