Sisters

 

It was my sister’s birthday this week, an occasion that made me reminisce about our childhood together. From an early age our mother always taught us to value each other, because she never had a sister growing up, and always wished she had. Like all siblings, we had our squabbles, but most of the time we were good friends. I have so many memories of games and adventures together as children and trips out to concerts as teenagers. 

Our lives have taken different paths. I am a Carmelite nun here, and she is living in England with a husband and three children. Now I am surrounded by Sisters of a different kind, both in my community and in other religious communities that I have contact with. These new Sisters are of all ages and nationalities, and I value them all, each and every one of them. The gifts of each Sister are unique and the richness of having so many Sisters is a great blessing for me.

Yet, there is nobody quite like my very first sister. As American novelist George R.R. Martin said: “You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you.”

It is true! I need my sister to be straight-up and honest with me at times when my Sisters in community are too polite or gracious to do it! And I need my sister’s empathy and understanding at times when even those I live with do not fully understand a struggle I am going through.

My sister’s birth, all those years ago, was a day of great blessing for me. Yes, Mum, I am so grateful to have a sister. Thank you, God, for my sister.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary the Sunflower...

Humans and Dogs!

An Unexpected Visitor - Mr Heron